Since its inception the choir has sought to cultivate music of quality in the service of the liturgy, specializing in classical polyphony and Gregorian chant. In recent years its repertoire has been extended to include vernacular and sacred music of contemporary composers. The Choir aims through its performances to promote the development of Roman Catholic liturgical music and to bring this to a wider audience.
“There should be choirs, especially in cathedrals and other major churches. Large choirs existing in basilicas and cathedrals which have earned for themselves high renown by preserving and developing a musical heritage of inestimable value should be retained for sacred celebrations.’”
Second Vatican Council Musicam Sacram
Sacred Congregation of Rites 1967
“The Palestrina Choir under artistic director Blanaid Murphy… has made an enormous impression home and abroad in recent years through touring and the release of CDs… The expansion of the choir will further increase the status of this marvellous institution.”
The Sunday Business Post December 2008
Friends & Patrons
Becoming a Friend of the Palestrina Choir makes an invaluable contribution to supporting the liturgical programme and educational activities, serving to ensure the continued growth and development of the choir. Funds received contribute to development and support in the following areas:
- Musical education/training of the boys
- Building up the choir library of published works for performance
- Workshops for the choir
- Supporting the out-reach programme in the inner city
- Developing the ‘Junior Men’ programme
- Infrastructure for the choir – for example new choir folders and chant books
- Development of choir staffing
- Supporting the needs of extra liturgies
The support of the Friends has been inestimable and has contributed in a major way to the choir reaching its present level. It is important that this level is maintained and developed. It is certainly, at the moment, one of the most sought after choirs in the country and gaining international acclaim.
Benefits of Friendship:
- Acknowledgement of contributions in Choir Concert Programs
- Automatic addition to choir’s mailing list
- Subscription to bi-annual Choir Newsletter
- Advance notification of major Choir Events
- Invitation to annual Friends Mass and Reception
Become a friend of The Palestrina Choir
- Friends €150 per year – €12.50 per month
- Silver Friend €250 per year – €20.83 per month
- Gold Friend €350 per year – €29.16 per month
- Patron €500 per year – €41.66 per month
Contributions of €250 or over are eligible for tax relief.
Please contact the Palestrina Choir Office for additional information regarding payment methods.